Saturday, January 15, 2011

Part 1 of the Great Leaf Round-Up

Well I must say that Kat seems to be having too much fun with her blog http://louisianapickle.blogspot.com/ so as Dixon would say "I was jealous." It is funny that the majority of the internet based activities that she currently participates in, I bullied her into starting. Hopefully I can keep everyone up to date on the happenings at the garden and other various projects that get started around here.




Currently "The Big Garden" is quite dormant. There are 2 rows of produce growing made up of brussels sprouts, cabbage, and rutabaga. I managed to clean up the lot over the Christmas break and am starting to collect leaves to till in to prepare for the spring growing. The whole family rode on the last leaf collection. While doing some math in the car Kat and I determined the current total is about 600 cubic feet of leaf trash. My goal is 1800 cu. ft which will give about 6 inches of leaf debris over the whole garden. This will then be tilled under and aid in the soil quality. 

A trip to the AG expo on Friday proved eventful when after chatting with my neighbor down the street it was revealed that he had a manure source through a co-worker. That should result in a post later on. Please come back and visit and feel free to follow me and this blog. We are going to try to have a good time.

1 comment:

  1. You are welcome to the leaves from our yard if that's what you need.

    ReplyDelete