Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Part 2 of the Great Leaf Round-Up

So after 3 trailer loads of leaves at approximately 300 cu ft per load we have a huge pile of leaves at the garden which total to about 900 cu ft. If you are allergic to math please skip over the next section in red.
  • Now if the garden is 50' x 50' then we can figure on 2500 sq ft. Our leaves in the cubic form are approximately 5' x 10' x 12' or 50 sq ft 144 inches high. Taking the 50 sq ft times 144 we get 7200 sq ft of mulch 1 inch thick then divide that by 2500 and we end up with 2.88 inches of mulch over the whole garden.

With enough leaves to cover the whole garden 2.88 inches deep, I decided it was time to do some tilling and mix some of these in. Off to the garden I headed with my trusty helper who likes dirt, mud, and big piles of leaves. The soil was a little wet but as long as we were tilling in leaves there were no real problems. Dixon had a large time helping me spread out the contents of the bags and was a great help answering the question can a 4 year old could indeed climb a pile of bags that large!!! 





In the process of dumping and spreading out the leaves I managed to collect  28  70 gallon bags that just so happen to cost $0.65 cents each. Once again with the math.
  •  If each bag is $0.65 each times 28 that comes to exactly $18.20 plus tax that is a grand total of  $19.84 that technically I made. 




Now you ask how can I make money by collecting leaf bags? (My wife will probably point out how I shouldn't have used a ? there or how I correctly did) Thus far in my blog I have not gotten in to how while not teaching Algebra, Physical Science, and ACT Prep at Neville High School I have a lawn service.(Here the English teaching wife did want me to note that when at the school I teach but while not at the school I cut grass. Sorry for any misunderstandings)  This would be how I knew that these bags were $0.65 each and also why I see this as a monetary gain for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment